Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Sleeping In - Haiku

Sunday morning, you wake up in your room
you drift out of bed and walk out of your room
-silence-


As I was trying to come up with a haiku, I remembered those moments when everyone else went out while I was asleep and I woke up to find myself alone in the house. I used to live in a two story house and as I walked down the stairs to see if anyone else was home, I would hear only my footsteps and the creaking of the stairs. Sometimes, however, my brother would be downstairs on his computer and I would faintly hear the computer fan running as I walked down the stairs, being slightly relieved and knowing he was there.

I chose the day to be Sunday because I thought maybe some of the readers' houses don't get empty often and the only times this would happen to them is when they slept in on Sunday and missed church. Actually, I think this happens often during vacations too.

I tried to get the readers to picture their own rooms and go through the story in their own shoes instead of just objectively listening to mine because I wanted them to experience that feeling I was trying to convey. Anyways I hope it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment