Tuesday, January 25, 2011

DoaS Project

The Life of a Project: Willy after the Boys’ abandonment

Oh, I’d better hurry. I’ve got to get some seeds, right away. Nothing’s planted. I don’t have a thing in the ground! I was fired today, and Biff didn’t have such a great day with Oliver either. He stole his fountain pen for Christ’s sake! I thought I could make it here in New York just as old Dave had done. Oh Dave! How did you do it? I should have left with Ben when I had the chance. This is all because of that damn American Dream.

Yea, the dream gave me confidence and energy. That was what made me articulate. It was my main trade! That was how I gained the respects of Biff and Happy. Because I talked so confidently to them, they looked up to me and followed me. They loved me! Oh what a brilliant idea the American Dream is! It even gave me the tenacity to hold my ground here in the jungle.

But wait, what for? I’m jobless and my children disrespect me. I lost Biff’s trust and the American Dream can do nothing about it. I can’t even take Charley’s job offer because of my American Dream. I’m supposed to be as well off as Charley according to my American Dream, I can’t be taking his offers. The American Dream is a sham!

I was just used up and thrown away like a piece of orange! Now, I can’t be worth just as much as an orange? I’m a man! A human being! I’m Willy Loman! I named you Howard, you were just a baby in your father’s arms and I named you! Oh, how could they do this to me? The people aren’t like they used to be. All these bricks and windows, they’ve changed things. Now every man is for himself! They’ve broken the deposit bottle, my deposit bottle!

I should have known. I should have left with you Ben. You were right, you were right! But it’s too late now. So, instead, I came up with this new idea. Listen Ben, I want you to consider. I want you to advise me. I value your advice. Listen, I came up with this a while ago but I finally made up my mind today. I even gave the waiter at that restaurant all my money. Well not all, thank God I had those spare changes left in my back pocket for the seeds. But anyways, the idea is this. You know that insurance I’ve been paying all my life? Now it’s about time they paid back. At least that deposit bottle isn’t broken. I’m going to do it Ben! What a proposition, ts, ts. Terrific terrific. ‘Cause she’s suffered, Ben, the woman has suffered. You understand me? You gotta consider, now. Don’t answer so quick. Remember. It’s a guaranteed twenty-thousand-dollar proposition. Twenty-thousand-dollars…

No comments:

Post a Comment