Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Ordinary Man

This is my found poem:

Posted like silent

Stand thousands upon thousands

Some leaning

Some seated

Some looking

Some high aloft

But they are all landsmen

Tied to counters

Nailed to benches

Clinched to desks

Here come more crowds

And there they stand

Here they all unite

Stand that man

Set his feet

And he will lead you to water

Reflection

First off I'd like to say that i really enjoyed writing and editing this piece. It taught me a lot of things that i didn't really notice before. First of all i never actually thought of the idea of looking for poetry inside a random piece of literature. I really had fun and was consistently surprised to find how easily the whole thing just came into place. I barley finished the first half of the work of literature Moby Dick when I realized I already had a full page of poetry. So when I first began to read that piece of literature I realized a lot of it had to do with a man. So instantly I came up with the idea of basing this entire poem on the life of a man or the point of view of a man. So basically I tried to find phrases and words that could describe different things about that man. And fortunately for me, I realized I had a lot of things I could have used. When I put my piece of poetry together I really wanted to convey a message of the hardships a man could feel in his life and how uniting and becoming together could really help out a society or an individual. At least in my head that's' what I hear when I read this poem. What I really love about the way I wrote this poem is that I followed the rules exactly 99.9% perfectly. I wrote everything in order and in context, the only difference is I took out the word "infallibly" from the line "And he will (infallibly) lead you to water." I just didn't think that word fit in with the poem and I didn't believe it gave the poem a good sound. So for all it was worth, I really enjoyed writing this poem and maybe I'll write another one in my writers notebook soon.

1 comment: