Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Flashback

Flashback

I remember walking into kindergarden class,

it was a rainy,

gray,

day,

Wearing my yellow, wet raincoat.

Stepping off the plane,

Seeing exotic things,

That I have never laid eyes on,

I was only seven years old,

Thought I had seen all the beauties in the world,

I was wrong.

I’ve smelled the most greenest grasses,

Smelled the beautiful, yet mysterious essence,

Of this strange, tropical world,

I have seen the native people of this country,

I was in Honduras.

I have traveled to El Salvador,

In search of my sister and brother,

I have eaten a

Delicious,

Mouth-watering,

Warm,

Cheesy,

Pupusa,

While drinking a

Sweet,

Sour,

Beverage called “Fresco de Mora,”

Blackberry Juice.

I have walked on my grandfather’s ranch,

Feeling out of place,

Confused,

Scared,

An American compared to my relatives.

I have rode on a beautiful, brown horse,

I have felt the warmth of chickens,

In between my palms.

I remember walking into kindergarden class,

like it was yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment