Monday, April 6, 2009

The Media's Audience

The media is a somewhat useful and reliable, but scary noun, place, thing, or whatever it is. It's
definitely not a person because a person is not useful or reliable. (wink wink) It is society's advocate and adversary. It can be dangerous and it can be humorous. The media can make one believe 2+2 = 7, but they also give out information helpful to you, like a picture of Rihanna after Chris Brown chewed and slapped her (like a real man 'sarcasm intended'). But why is the media so surreptitious (extra points on vocab quiz please)? Who is it targeting?

I learned in psych that peoples' brains develop and are able to view the world in different ways as they grow older. When they are born, they tend to have a self-centered type of view. They want everything for themselves, not having any knowledge of the process called "sharing and caring." When they are around 7, they get out of that shell. They see the world in other peoples' shoes. When they get older and older, people look more and more into the meaning of life, and the meaning of the pursuit of happiness.

In one of my SAT prep tests, I found a passage. It was, obviously, about the media. I don't have the test with me, so I can't credit or quote the author. Anyhow, I can still summarize it and give my opinion about it.

The passage said that the audience that media wants to target is the children. That was the whole argument of the passage. For my opinion, I 99.9% agree with it, the other .01% is that I think the media also targets senile people in nursing homes with the same brain that of a baby. The reason why I agree though is because children don't have that "seeing life in a different way" ability. They also need the mother's attention and the mother always responds to the baby's wants and needs. So, basically, the media persuades, the kid abides, and the mom complies. The media gets the most out of children that way because the adults listen to children, not the media.

Now for my opinion about the media. I think the media is bad. I think some things should be censored by the government. Some people are against government censorship saying, "We have the freedom to control and blah blah blahhhh!", but what if your children saw American Pie: Band Camp on the television? Would you still fight for the outlandish cause? The media is the making of a crazy guy, like Michael Moore. You might not think that the media is influencing you in any way, but it is affecting the people that affect you.

P.S. [also, watch out for China, it is said that it will take over the world soon]
-Andrew I.

No comments:

Post a Comment