Thursday, January 8, 2009

Temporal

you don't want to be forgotten.
you want a tiny pinprick in your spine every time your name slides down a praising tongue
you want a little goose bump on your wrist
when someone passes you with a second glance of recognition
you don't want to fade away.
it's obvious
and understandable
but I wish I couldn't dissect this as easily as I think I have
because I like it when I don't understand you quite so quickly.
you're complex.
so maybe I could tell you
not to worry.
you're not a vibrant, teeming, trembling leaf
that people pluck and carefully put into the folds
of an old white book that smells of paste
and put it away on a shelf
and move it to the attic
and put it in a bin
and sell it at a garage sale
for a quarter and a dime.
I know
you don't want to be forgotten
and for what it's worth
your name always dances on my nose
and slides through my brain
and steams out my ears
and mists down my cheeks
and always marches out of my mouth
like a defiant little soldier
who knows there will be roses
on his grave.

and my words may not be immortal
but when they fall
they make a sound.

1 comment: